Tuesday, August 14, 2012

An apology, a defense and a few links.


A month after I wrote this blog, I came back and reread the posts, and discovered a number of grammar mistakes, colloquialism and altogether bad writing. I apologize.

I should provide an explanation of TLG role is in education. A copy of the teaching statement on the TLG website, found here http://www.tlg.gov.ge/content.php?id=94&lang=eng


The Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia has designed Teach and Learn with Georgia to:
  • Recruit native and fluent English speakers to co-teach in Georgian public schools
  • Promote English language education across Georgia
  • Implement new teaching methodologies focusing on listening and speaking skills
  • Track progress and tackle challenges in the Georgian education system
  • Provide an opportunity for Georgian communities to share their values and engage in a cultural exchange with people from all over the world

The teaching methodology during Georgia's soviet past was grammar based. The native English speakers role is to teach English, but using methodologies that have little focus on grammar or writing, to depart from soviet teaching methodologies.

Aside from a collage diploma, the volunteers have no educational requirements to participate in TLG. Most of the volunteers I have met have no teaching experience, myself included.

A really good blog entry brings up different ideas and issues on teaching Georgians proper English grammar or conversation. I recommend reading http://teachandlearnwithgeorgia.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/what-to-teach-pet-peeves/. I'd like to hear your thoughts, concerns, etc on the matter.

This is, however no excuse for my blog. In the meantime I'll work on my writing.




No comments:

Post a Comment