Monday, July 30, 2012

Sunday July 22nd. Journey to Gorgadzeebi


I write this message on Wednesday. So much has happened these past few days, I can compare it to when I first moved to Lincoln, or when I moved to San Diego, or when I went on vacation in Europe and the Caribbean. So much action, I must take constant notes, and everything is important enough to write down.
The person who met me at our hotel was our schools director, Pridon (like freedom.) Pridon does not speak English, but that didn't stop him from telling me his hopes and aspirations for him, the school and Gorgadzeebi. He was accompanied by a man named mahmood, who translated for Pridon (Pridoni hopes to teach me Georgian and I teach him English) as well as a man with the Georgian name for Alexander (Zandari) Mahmood and Zandari dropped Pridon and I off at the Marshutka station. My belongings were shoved in the Marshutka and we took off out of Tbilisi.
Let me just say that the driving in Georgia isn't bad, its nerve-wracking. People often take too many chances on the road. Although there are rarely and collisions, there are plenty of close calls. I keep telling myself we aren't driving fast, so any head on collisions will only result in a exchange of verbal insults and rude hand gestures. The lanes on Georgian roads are more of an implication, rather than a designated area. This includes the lane with incoming traffic! The roads are two lanes officially, but they make them wide enough for three cars to pass abreast, which we did frequently, to my dismay. We poor souls in this minibus, who are cramped together, some of which haven't bathed in days, pray for a breeze to pass through the bus (air conditioning is a luxury), such is the price for a 12 lari ticket. I try to console myself of the stark fact of there being no seat belts by thinking "Not only are we traveling slow, but I'm surrounded by soft flesh, if we crash, it will like being tossed about in a pillowed room, we don't need to stinking seatbelts!" I am grasping for optimism, I know but its better than having a nervous breakdown, or worse, getting out and refusing to go to Adjara entirely.
We traveled through fertile valleys marked with small towns and hamlets. The mountains surrounding us on both sides were covered with thick trees. The weather was unseasonably cool, to our luck until we passed through the mountains into the next valley. The mountains themselves are stunningly beautiful. Different than the Sierra Nevada, the mountains here are covered by green, dense woods. The Marshutka would stop often (every hour or two) for a smoking/bathroom/meal. Pridon and I said little. I was too shy to say anything at this time, luckily Tara, another volunteer was on the bus with me, so we didn't spend the entire time in silence. Our final smoking stop was in Kutaisi, situated in the valley, surrounded by beautiful mountains. At the time, Kutaisi was ungodly hot, humid and windy. As we neared the Black sea coast the humidity increased from San Diego Bay to Costa Rican Rainforest levels. By now I'm used to the smell, the cramped conditions and the hot sticky air; after all, I'm an American, and we breed tough individuals who can handle extremes. The black sea coast is rich in produce and greenery. Farmland, fields, floodplains, estuaries and bays dot the landscape. As we came closer to Batumi, the city in the southern part of Adjara, the coast revealed itself through campsites and resort hotels. The resort town of Kobuleti is where Tara was dropped off.
Pridon and I were dropped off at a coastal town called Chakvi, where we were picked up by my host father, Romani. Romani owns a car, he is a taxi driver. We drove east into the mountains/foothills where Gorgadzeebi lies. From Google maps, Gorgadzeebi looks like a cluster of homes in green fields scarred by dirt roads, along a river which is an absurd perception when you actually see it. The village is a jumble of square houses on a steep mountain, the river is hundreds of feet below from where I am staying. The square houses are actually made of cement blocks, each one is a unique piece of archecture. Some are in ruins, occupied only by cattle, trees and gardens. Some are quite nice, covered in plaster and painted in white or cream colors. Most are a mix of the two. Reader be aware, I am not in a poor country, but in a diverse and rich land where flora actually flows out of the ground, without the assistance of its citizens. Gorgadzeebi and the surrounding villages are an amazing site to behold, I can compare it only to a rainforest like the ones I have seen outside San Jose, Costa Rica. By the time we reached Romani's home (after dropping of Pridoni) It was evening. I couldn't see much but I could hear hundreds of birds calling. Again, imagine rainforest.
Here I met Romani's daughter (da) Shorena, who knows a lot of English, as well as her grandmother (babia), who is perhaps of the sweetest person I've ever met. Soon after eating a meal of Khachapuri (cheesebread), cucumbers, berry juice, tea, etc I went to bed. My room is on the second floor of the house, where I was soon fast asleep. Situated on the hillside, my host family's home has a commanding view of the valley, and far away Batumi, cooler airs stir through my room through an open window, and flows through the open doors into the balcony. Although Gorgadzeebi is very humid, and reaches temperature of 30C and up, my room is always cool. 


Well that is about it. I didn't expect to write so much, but as I said earlier, so much is going on, and I can't spare you the juicy details, dear reader. Stay stalwart, I will start posting shorter entries. Now, some more pictures
Coti the cat. This ball of shadow with eyes and claws has helped me in my second stage of culture shock.

My House, perched on a mountain side

Pretty nice view of my neighborhood.

My host sister Shorena (to my right) and cousin near the Black Sea


No comments:

Post a Comment